Monday, September 3, 2012

Piano Issues

Greetings, all!

I would just like to take a minute to ex(com)plain one of the problems I have with playing and recording my piano videos... And that is the piano itself. See, my electric piano is a Yamaha Clavinova CVP-75, and it's been in my family for nearly 20 years. I had no problem with it before I started uploading to YouTube, because I only played for fun. I still do. But the more songs I put up, the more I want, well... MORE out of my piano.

For instance, I've wanted to make higher quality audio files, and be able to make sheets / tutorials for the longest time. Unfortunately, the piano has no USB port. Instead, it has the big bulky MIDI ports. It's hard to even get my MIDI to USB cord to function properly. Not to mention my sheet-making software is extremely out of date. It probably doesn't even work on Win7 :/. I am also currently using a cord coming from the piano's headphone port, and into my laptop's mic port to at least get better audio than direct-from-camera hiss. Unfortunately, the quality still is far from the best thing in the world.

On top of all the technical mumbo-jumbo, the piano itself just doesn't feel right. It's stiff. Sure, it's weighted, and I would indeed like a little weight in my piano, but I would also like to do glissandos without getting blisters on me fingers. This has happened before, when I was practicing my "Tragic Prince" video. I ended up not putting one in, and played the song with blistered fingers. I had one in "Sound of the Wind, but that happened beforehand.... That was painful too. I've played these songs on a couple upright acoustic pianos without a problem, and would like to be able to at home. Could it truly be that I just have weak frail fingers and need to man-up? .....Naahh, I'm pretty sure it's the piano.

(Boring rants end here. You're welcome.)

So I've graduated from college, and am about to head into the job market. Once I've saved up $2000, first order of business is for me to get a new keyboard. That's right, I'm divorcing my piano. She's been a great companion for many years, and we've had some great times together... but let's face it, we're having some domestic problems. The fingering and the pounding has just gotten a little too rough for us.
 ....................Why is everyone looking at me like that? :P

Anyway, here's a checklist for what I'd like out of my new baby. An E-harmony list, if you will.... Get it? ...E? ...Harmo--yeah, that was lame.

- 88 keys (MUST)
- Feels real, like an acoustic piano. Not hollow and plastic-y, like most keyboards.
- Pain-free glissandos
- 3 Pedals.
- USB Port for MIDI and sheet-making.
- Different audio output. My microphone port will not be satisfactory anymore.
- Great sound and quality (not basic MIDI sounding - again, like most keyboards)
- Record / Playback function for practicing duet pieces.
- Will last a good long time.

I'm thinking of getting a Kawai, for its supposedly more real-feeling keys. I'm too afraid of shopping online though, and would rather test one out before buying. Does Anyone have experiences in buying somewhat higher-end keyboards? Any recommendations? Any good stores you know of in the Seattle vicinity?

Update: I ran across a piano shop in Redmond, and tested out my first Kawai - an electric grand. I'm in love. It feels and sounds great. All the other pianos I tested there didn't give me any glissando problem (it was the first thing I checked on every one.), but this one felt the best overall. So I know now what brand I want. It's just a matter of getting enough dough to bring one home with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment